Monday, February 22, 2010

Aria By: Richard Rodriguez

After reading the article written by Richard Rodriquez I was actually gald that I had got a chance to read this article. This was one of my favorite articles we have read so far in this class. I liked it because it was from the perspective of a student instead of an educator. I felt this helped me understand the article better. Some quotes i felt were important were:

1. "At last at seven years old, i came to believe what had been technically true since my birth:i was an american citizen".
This quote was shocking i never really understood what it meant to be a real american citizen. There is so many things one has to give up to become an american citizen. coming to america speaking a different lanuage you are put at a disadvantage. It makes it hard with you to cope with the enviorment and makes you feel far from home and makes it hard to cope with.

2. "What I needed to learn in school was that I had the right and obligation to speak the public lanuage"
This quote made me think back to the piece written by Deplit we have to teach the kids the right things to do in school. You have to be so clear that there is no room for confussion. It is very important as teacher for us to make these obligations clear.

3."Without question, it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me in spanish when I entered the classroom".
This quote was shocking to me because when I walk into a classroom a teacher speaks in a lanuage which i am comfortable with. How it feels to walk into a room with someone speaking a lanuage thats not your first must be so difficult and hard to adapt to. I guess we can say this is part of the white privilage.

3 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I agree with you about reading this article. I really enjoyed his point of view and the feelings that he shared. I also agree 100% with you on your last interpretation of the last quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this reading also - It's the first one we have had in this class from the individuals perspective. Their telling of their own experience and feelings. I agree about your last comment also and Dr. Bogad demonstrated that on Tuesday. I had no idea what she was saying even with the gestures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your 2nd quote and how you related it to Delpit. He needed to learn the public language and how to use it.

    ReplyDelete